Thursday, February 2, 2017

Homestead Garden Plans


This winter hasn't felt much like a winter so far.  We have had a few cold days, but over-all, we have had lots of wonderful sunshine and plenty of moderate temps.  Of course, because of the beautiful weather, I am already thinking and planning for the garden this year.  As you may remember, last year we did not have a garden, but instead did some tarping in order to kill off some weed problems.  The Johnson Grass was taking over and we had no other choice!  Since it has been two years since I have been able to plot and plan for a beautiful garden, I am especially excited this year!

I found a wonderful heirloom seed company based out of Oklahoma that is a small, family-run business.  I love to support family business whenever I can, and pray others will do the same.  We dream of turning our little farm into a small business someday, and we will depend on the support of you all to make it work!  Anyway, I am making my lists of what seeds I plan to purchase this year, and I am looking forward to placing my order soon so I can get some seeds started!

Here are some of the things on my list:

Vegetables:

Asparagus
Burgundy Beans
Harvester Green Beans
Beets
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Cucumber
Kale
Romaine Lettuce
Honey Rock Canteloupe
Clemson Spineless Okra
Onions
Poblano Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Serrano Peppers
Sweet Banana Peppers
Big Max Pumpkins
Spinach
Dark Green Zucchini Squash
Summer Squash
Black Cherry Tomatoes
Red Cherry Tomatoes
Moneymaker Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes

Flower Seed: 

Henry Wilde Sunflower
Red Sun Sunflower
Crimson Queen Sunflower
Tiger Eye Marigolds
Dwarf Marietta Marigolds

Herbs:

Large Leaf Basil
Cilantro
Lemon Balm
Lavendar

Whew, that is a long list.  But truly, I cannot wait!  It is going to be lots of work whipping the garden into shape this year, but I have big dreams, big plans, and willing helpers (well, they will be willing if they want to eat ;). 

What about you?  Any garden plans for this spring/summer?  Will you grow only enough to eat right away, or, like me, will you try to grow enough to store up for the coming fall and winter?  Are there veggies that I am missing on my seed list?  Speak up!

No comments:

Post a Comment