Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?


The weather this last week has been beautiful!  It has been rather springy here, which is great for getting me in the mood to work some more on the garden.

This last week, I spent some more time organizing my seeds, and deciding which ones needed to be started inside.  After making my list, and purchasing a few supplies like decomposing pots and organic soil, I went to work starting some seeds!

So far I have started two different tomato varieties, as well as some onions, some bell pepper plants, some jalapeno plants, and some romaine lettuce.  I also have three beautiful blackberry plants that will go out as soon as we have the last frost.  I would love to put them out now to get some extra grow time, but I fear they would shrivel and die if it gets cold again.  Oh, well.  Sigh.

Here are some photos of my seed starts...excuse the poor quality photographs.  I tried two different days to get some pictures, but unfortunately the sun wasn't out and it made for bad pictures.

I cannot wait to see these little seeds begin to grow, and then to transplant them into our large outside garden.  We are hoping and praying for a bountiful harvest this year!




I have also planted some Romaine lettuce out in the garden, and much to my surprise it is already sprouting!  It is going to be wonderful to enjoy a yummy salad, full of fresh veggies I have grown myself!


You have to look closely, but the tiny green sprouts are there!!


In other news, the kids and I have been collecting pine cones from beneath the pine tree in the corner of the garden.  Last week when it was sunny outside, we grabbed up the pine cones, some peanut butter, and some birdseed, and we went to work!  We made quite a few birdfeeders to hang around the property...it was so much fun, but boy did we make a mess!









This last week also found me making the garden markers to put in the garden.  I dug through the pile of old wood next to our workshop and was able to find just what I needed.  I made a list of the signs I wanted, and set to work painting.  I think they turned out perfect...rustic, cute, useful, and FREE!




Nathaniel has put them all on stakes and we will use them to mark all of our plants in the garden!  Awesome!

Last but not least, this weekend found us with reason to celebrate.  January is a big month at our house because it holds  two special anniversaries.  January 23rd is my Cancer-Free anniversary.  This year was my 11th Cancer-Free Anniversary!!  Praise the Lord!  January 27th is also our wedding anniversary, and this year we celebrated 12 years of wedded bliss...well, mostly bliss ;)  With two big days, and two big reasons to celebrate, we decided to have a dinner date.  It was nice to get away without the kids for a few hours, and spend some time talking and laughing together.  While we won't say that our marriage has been 100% easy, I think we both agree it is wonderful, and WORTH the work!  I love my farmer more today than I did the day we said our vows...and I still mean every word of those vows, as I know he does too!

Here we are all dressed up for our night out...which included dinner, a trip to my favorite thrift store, and the my weekly grocery trip.  Boy, are we fun or what!?  Ha!

We are staying busy here on the farm, and are still loving our new adventure!  Check back soon for more tales from Hen Hollow Homestead!


Blessings!





1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversaries! Love your garden markers and would love to come and have one of those home-grown salads with you! Miss you!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete