Friday, March 8, 2013

Catching Up

Has it really been weeks since my last post here at HHH blog?  I guess it has, and I am sorry for the delay! I'll skip the long explanation and get right to the updates.

Things continue to thrive here at the homestead.  The puppies are growing like crazy, and last week when I took them for shots, they had gained over 10 pounds EACH since their last round of shots one month earlier.  They are eating so much and still love to run and play.  Unfortunately, they are still acting like puppies in that they chew on absolutely everything!  Ugh!  We are working hard to train them not to jump up on us, and not to make everything their personal chew toy, but still have a ways to go.

My seed starts are growing too!  Here are a couple of pictures of the little plants growing in my window.  It is only a matter of time before these tiny things will go outside in the garden, and we can't wait for the bounty to be ready for harvest.  Patience, patience, right?



In other news, Natalie has inherited an extreme sensitivity to poison ivy from her dad.  Nathaniel just has to think about walking by the stuff and he gets it...apparently Natalie is also just as sensitive.  They went out hiking in the woods out back and she came back with poison ivy on her face.  Not comfortable at all.  We knew she was suffering so we went and purchased this expensive wash that binds with the toxins in your skin and pulls them out.  It is supposed to help tremendously, and it should for the hefty price tag.  Unfortunately, Natalie was allergic to the wash, and after two days woke up looking like this.


Yikes!  Poor girl.  And yes, she gave me permission to post this picture.  When she woke up looking this way, I immediately took her to the minor emergency clinic where they confirmed my suspicions.  She was incredibly allergic to the wash, so we are to never use it again.  They gave her a LARGE steroid shot - OUCH! - and sent us home with a 12-day cycle of steroids as well.  Thankfully she is back to normal pretty much, with only a few lingering side effects.  So thankful to have this girl's smile back!

Levi likes to go with my dad to the country barber for a hair cut.  It is their special time together, just a boy and his pawpaw!  Levi even dresses like pawpaw when it is haircut day...and if you know my dad, you know this is exactly how he looks every single day.  Overalls, t-shirt, and boots.  Isn't Levi a handsome little mini-pawpaw?






We have started letting the chicks out of the chicken tractor to do some scratching around and they are loving it.  Here is a picture of them stepping out for the first time to explore the world outside of the tractor.  They LOVE it!





My dad is building a playpen of sorts so they can safely do lots more free-ranging.  I'll be sure to post pictures when we have it up and running!

Last week we made a whirlwind trip to New Mexico to honor Nathaniel's grandmother who passed away.  She was a sweet lady whom I had only gotten to meet a few times.  It was a sweet service honoring her life, and we know she is celebrating with Jesus now. 

During the long car ride to and from, we made frequent stops for stretching and snacks.  At one stop, Nathaniel snapped this picture of Levi being his typical cowboy self.




What a cutie pie!

One day at home we snapped a couple of cheesy pictures of me with the kids.  Since I am not in many of the pictures, I decided to go ahead and post them.  

Levi and I


Natalie and I

One day I was feeling crafty, so I used what I had on hand, along with some wreath forms that I had picked up at Goodwill, and created new wreaths for our front doors.  Here is one of them...


And a close-up of the flowers.  They are all made from burlap and felt.


While I was working, I decide to make Panther Power Flowers for a few of my friends.  These are done in school colors, and are brooches.  I figure they can pin them on jackets, hats, bags, or anything else they can come up with.  Just a little something fun to show some school spirit.


Just last night, Nathaniel took this hilarious photo of Levi.  He is SOUND ASLEEP!  The flash on the camera didn't even cause him to stir.  Yes, those are sunglasses he has on...Dwayne-Wayne style flip up sunglasses!!  And the look becomes complete with the headlamp on his head.  Hilarious!!  That boy is even funny in his sleep!





I have a few more photos to update with, but blogger is giving me fits, so I will post them later.  In the mean time, we have much to accomplish.  Spring weather has arrived and soon we will be planting the rest of the garden.  We will add lots of fruits and veggies to the onions and carrots I already have planted.  We will also do some spring cleaning and yard work, as well as probably start a new batch of chicks soon.  There is always work to do around the farm!

We are still so very happy to be here, working towards living off the land!  God is blessing us, and we are thankful!


No comments:

Post a Comment